Re: problems in upgrade

tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) wrote:
>Note the actual error above.  I'll repeat it for those who skipped by:
>
>  perl: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.2' not found (required by
>/lib/libdb.so.3)

Yes, I've reproduced this easily in a chroot before. In fact, IIRC, you
can reproduce it by debootstrapping a minimal potato system and
dist-upgrading to woody; it's too late at night for me to verify this,
but perhaps Brendan can use it as a potential test case.

>Correcting dependencies... Done
>The following extra packages will be installed:
>  libc6-dev libstdc++2.10-dev perl-base perl-modules
>The following packages will be REMOVED:
>  perl-5.004-base
>The following NEW packages will be installed:
>  perl-modules
>WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
>This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
>  perl-5.004-base (due to perl-base)
>3 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 602 not upgraded.
>7 packages not fully installed or removed.
>Need to get 0B/4628kB of archives. After unpacking 8822kB will be used.
>You are about to do something potentially harmful
>To continue type in the phrase 'Yes, I understand this may be bad'
> ?]

There's now (although not yet in woody, but it looks like it should be
in four days' time) a perl-5.004-base transitional package which isn't
essential, so had that been upgraded first then that would have avoided
this ... I'd expect that this won't be necessary once perl proper
upgrades more cleanly.