Re: Trolling for active members of testing

> On Tue, 15 May 2001 sharkey@ale.physics.sunysb.edu wrote:
>
> > > So, first let me ask all of those on this list who are ready and able to
> > > test boot floppy installs of the base system, please check in with me by
> > > private e-mail so I can get a head count.
> >
> > I've got a P-90 with a dead disk that I'm planning on testing the new
> > boot floppies on later this afternoon.  (After replacing the disk of course
> .)
>
> Cool!

Not so cool.

This is the install from hell.

I can't seem to get this machine's network card to suck down the base
system.  I can execute a shell, telnet to remote systems, even off my
local wire, but wget is acting funny.  It gets 512 bytes, stalls,
and just hangs there.  After a minute it sucks down a whole bunch more
data all at once and then quits with error.

Of course, you can't see any of this because the scripts call wget with
-q, but I was able to observe the same behavior from the command line.

The whole time the network remains active and I can still telnet to other
machines just fine.  I tried swapping the network card (isa Intel Ether
Express) for an old NE2000 I had lying around but it had the same
problem.

There were a couple of other annoying things.  The editor installed is
called "nano-tiny" but when you execute a shell or type "vi" you get
messages instructing you to run either "ae" or "nano", neither of which
work.

The scripts and shells seem to run with a username of 0.  I don't mean
uid 0, I mean username 0, which confuses the id command and causes
spurrious error messages to occur on screen with unknown user 0.

The machine also doesn't seem to remember loading device drivers.  After
you load the kernel and device drivers onto disk, you can insert modules,
but if for some reason you need to reboot (to swap a net card, say) and
you mount your previously initialized partitions the second time around,
you still need to go through the four driver floppies and the rescue
floppy in order to be able to configure modules again even though all
the modules are there in /target/lib/modules.  It would be nice if
the module configuration section would look for modules in /target/lib
if they're not in /lib.

I don't have any more time to work on this today, but I'll give it another
try tomorrow.

Eric