Re: emacs VM troubles

Jeff Sheinberg writes:
 > Rhebergen@fel.tno.nl writes:
 >  > Dear all,
 >  >
 >  > I've been "tracking testting" for a coupld ofweeeks now. Ever since I
 >  > moved to testing my emacs VM (visual mail) package crashes emacs as soon
 >                                                               ^^^^^
 >  > as I start the VM application. I was wondering if anyone else is
 >                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 >  > experiencing this problem. Secondly I would of course be interested to
 >  > know how to remedy this (apart from moving back to stable).
 >
 > I have been running these packages,
 >
 >     107 jeff ~ $ dpkg_l vm emacs20
 >     [...]
 >     ii vm 6.91-1 A mail user agent for Emacs
 >     ii emacs20 20.7-3 The GNU Emacs editor.
 >
 > without any problems at all.
 >
 > Try bypassing your .emacs and and .vm files, then M-x vm and see
 > if emacs still "crashes".  In other words, try to narrow down the
 > problem scenario.
 >
 > Exactly what do you mean by "crashes emacs"?  Please learn how to
 > submit a useful problem report.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for taking the trouble to react. First, let me apologize for
not being accurate enough in my description of the problem. Intially
had not intended this as a bug report (yet). I was trying to establish
if I had overlook something which  may be obvious or familiar to
others.

I should have metioned that XEMACS is having the problem instead of
the regular EMACS. (sorry) The regular one works fine!

bash> dpkg -l vm xemacs21
ii  vm             6.92-1         A mail user agent for Emacs
ii  xemacs21       21.1.10-5      Editor and kitchen sink

Bypassing the .emacs and .vm files was the first I did after it
crashed. This did not help.

Previouly I've run a trace on the with gbd on the core dumped and
mailed it to the proper "authorities" as directed by xemacs itself.

I've attached the error output to this mail. Strangely enough it does not
seem to produce a core dump now (demonstration effect I presume;)

Starting Xemacs itself is fine. When starting VM it goes through it's
paces loading several files and scanning the inbox but then it crashes
just when it's about it show something on the screen.

regards,

Jan