Re: Gnome totally broke

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 02:27:47PM -0500, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> I have experienced roughly the same things.

Same here - should it be recommended that users first upgrade to woody, and
then to sid/unstable?

> I did a small Potato install from CD.
> changed my sources to woody.
> apt-get update
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> Complete failure. As a new user to Debian I can't say who's at fault
> where. I am still learning apt-get, dselect and dpkg.

Not a complete failure, just annoying. Things I noticed:

1) task-c++ (or whatever it is) shouldn't be installed/configured until after
libc6 has been configured, as the former depends on 2.2.* of the latter. I had
to manually removed g++ et al so I could continue with the upgrade, and then I
had to reinstall g++.

2) debconf didn't get upgraded at all for some reason, which left really
annoying error messages about DESTROYing things. Could the priority of this
package be upped a little?

3) anXious/xserver-xfree86 didn't generate a config file, leaving the
installed display manager (in this case gdm) spawning too fast for init's
liking.

I assume 3 is dependant on 2.

All in all it was a tad embarrassing for me, as I was wearing my sysadmin/DD
hat and doing an install for a coworker. "Oh, this won't be any trouble", I
said, "it'll only take 10 minutes." Nearly three quarters of an hour later I
was able to say "there, that might work...". Hardly ideal.

The Gnome transition was fairly smooth - it was hindered slightly by ~/.gnome*
still having 1.0.* stuff. Perhaps this could be dealt with in a fashion
similar to the fvwm1->fvwm2 upgrade?

I've not filed bugs because this report is just based on remembering what
happened yesterday.

Regards,

Edward.

--

Edward C. Lang <edlang@pcug.org.au> woot on irc.openprojects.net
Encrypted mail prefered.                   KeyID: 1024D/61A332F6