Re: Gnome totally broke

> On Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 03:09:28PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > Some of the packages migrated into testing depend on the non-migrated
> > packages.  Those packages cannot be installed:
>
> Cite.

Forgive my inaccuracy; the problem may be that certain packages were
entirely removed from testing; this is just as bad, but doesn't match
my description.  When fixing my system, my priority was on getting it
working and not on keeping records of the process.

Here's one example that I know for certain.  I had task-gnome-apps
installed.  That package exists in potato and sid, but not woody.  It
did once exist in woody, but got removed.

task-gnome-apps depends on gnome-admin.  The latter package exists in
potato and sid, but not in woody.  But it did once exist.

The recent upgrade installed a new gnome-panel.  That gnome panel is
inconsistent with the old gnome-admin: they cannot coexist.

Attempting to do "apt-get install gnome-panel" downloads the new
gnome-panel, but then produces irreconcilable conflicts.  Further apt
commands after that state report the "try apt-get -f install to fix"
report.  Doing that doesn't help: it wants to download the new version
of gnome-admin, but it can't find a release candidate.

In an environment that has dependencies, you simply cannot safely
remove packages from the archive without carefully considering the
whole context.  If you remove package A from the archive, you must
consider what happens to people who had that package installed.

Removing packages is a very risky procedure.  The current testing
archive seems to have packages that disappear.  If a package exists in
potato and in sid, it should always exist in woody.

Thomas