Re: new potato boot-floppies

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 01:51:29AM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> For people who care about powerpc stuff....
>
> While the changelog below mentions powerpc, these are of course only
> ia32 floppies.  Having no patience, I have taken the liberty to

Of course, I've built them eight times in the past two days... You
-could- just have asked on the list.  I didn't upload them because I
was in the middle of debugging...

> build a boot floppy for oldworld apple powermacs that solves the
> dreaded no response from keyboard when prompting to insert root
> floppy problem.  It seems to work for doing installs on the one

this.

> machine that I was able to test it on, an Apple 7200/75.  It may
> spew out a few error messages at one or two places about missing
> symbols, can't load modules.  This should be ignored, unless someone
> discovers a piece of hardware that isn't supported during the
> install phase, in which case I'll fix it.  It should be fine,
> though.  This works for the 2.2r2 Debian release for powerpc

It SHOULD NOT BE USED.  You're avoiding a problem by using an old
kernel where the problem didn't occur; I've fixed the problem.  The new
floppies will probably be on mirrors by tomorrow.  You'll hit a lot of
random issues by the fact that you're not using the kernel that the
floppies were built with.

On Sun, Apr 15, 2001 at 03:49:50PM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Ethan Benson wrote:
> > his image is just the old 2.2.16 boot floppy since the potato r2 boot
> > floppies are broken.  drow is trying to fix that in the r3 boot
> > floppies.
>
> ARGS.  Is he "trying to fix this" or did he "actually fix this"?
>
> Drow, it would be a good time to appear now... :)

Fixed.  I just booted the same floppies I put in Incoming half an hour
ago and got a good way into an install.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz                           Debian GNU/Linux Developer
Monta Vista Software                              Debian Security Team