Re: serious trouble while apt-get update,upgrade,dist-upgrade

X LAci <lanlaf@chello.hu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Each week as usual, I did
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade
> apt-get dist-upgrade
>
> on my woody box.
>
> dist-upgrade wanted to remove my running kernel-image. I said no.

Using dist-upgrade is dangerous on a partially completed release, as
you have discovered.  I would strongly suggest that you not use it
reflexively, because it will lead to the problems you encountered.

Instead, use just apt-get upgrade.  When it fails on a package, you
can try "apt-get install WHATEVER" and then you will get a chance to
see just what it's going to try to do before it blows your system
away.

Thomas