Re: Spoofing package status.

Another way to do this, which doesn't require apt-get build-dep, is to grab the source tarball, run deb-make, then dpkg-buildpackage.  Then, use dpkg to install your newly built package.  I've used this in innumerable cases where the available deb wasn't current enough, or there was as yet no deb for a certain application in my apt sources.

Levi