Re: [Exim] Preventing exim from querying dns for localhost

On Fri, Nov 09, 2001 at 02:12, Gareth Clay wrote:
> Ok - here's the problem. When I boot up, exim tries to do a DNS lookup for
> willow.tachbrook.net. This name is in my /etc/hosts file - so you would
> think that exim would be able to get the IP address for
> willow.tachbrook.net from there. However, this doesn't happen and exim
> keeps trying to reach my ISP's DNS server, which requires an internet
> connection. So, diald brings up my ppp0 interface as it should and exim
> tries to query my ISP's DNS servers. Obviously it gets no reply - because
> willow.tachbrook.net is only meant to be a private hostname for use on my
> private network, so it gives up and the ppp connection drops.

I have encountered exactly the same thing.
Everytime exim is called it is doing this. You can run

'exim -bp' (give current queue).

Even with an empty queue it is the same thing. I was able to stop this
by setting option 'primary_hostname=MyMachine' in the exim.conf file,
but now all remote messages are no longer delivered. See my mails
earlier on this list.

I have been trying to find out what all this is about, but has not come
very fare except from getting some log files.

What system are you running? I am using Debian woody with exim 3.32

This could as well be an issue of libc6 resolver. Can an exim developer
comment on this perhaps?

Bye, Steffen