Error during upgrade

Hello,

I ran into a problem while performing an "apt-get upgrade" on my
computer over a month ago. The error message I received was as follows:

dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/debconf_1.0.00_all.deb
(--unpack):
 files list file for package `tk8.3' contains empty filename
 /var/cache/apt/archives/debconf_1.0.00_all.deb
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.

I now get the same error whenever I try to upgrade, and I am having
other problems in addition, for example while trying to add a user, I
receive the following:

lurchy:~# useradd -d /home/fakeuser -s /usr/bin/ksh -c "Fake User" -m
fakeuser
Segmentation fault

or...

lurchy:~# adduser
Enter a username to add: fakeuser
Adding user fakeuser...
Adding new group fakeuser (1003).
Adding new user fakeuser (1003) with group fakeuser.
adduser: `useradd -d /home/fakeuser -g fakeuser -s /bin/bash -u 1003
fakeuser' exited from signal 11.  Aborting.
Cleaning up.
Removing user `fakeuser'.
userdel: user fakeuser does not exist
Removing group `fakeuser'.
Inconsistency detected by ld.so: dynamic-link.h: 62:
elf_get_dynamic_info: Assertion `! "bad dynamic tag"' failed!
lurchy:~#

I can add users by editing the appropriate files, but I don't really
think I should be getting nasty errors for something like this. I posted
this problem on this list about a month ago and received no response, so
if I am asking in the wrong place please let me know what would be the
appropriate forum.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony