start-stop-daemon.REAL ...

A friend of mine did a woody install, after the install, no daemons
would load. There was a /sbin/start-stop-daemon.REAL, as well as a
normal one:

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         8956 Oct 17 00:25 /sbin/start-stop-daemon
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        17332 Aug 21 23:51 /sbin/start-stop-daemon.REAL

Moving the start-stop-daemon away, and copying the .REAL one into it's
place fixed it all... so what is this .REAL file doing there? Any ideas?
It doesn't belong to a package, it is not a diversion ... and it is
quite a serious problem. As it wasn't me that installed it, I cannot say
if there was anything funny about the install. (It doesn't sound like it
though.)

Hugo van der Merwe