installing the base system

I am trying to do a clean install of woody, using the floppies and a network connection.  When I reach the point of the install entitles "Install the Base System", the necessary stuff is downloaded, and started to be depackaged, and then I get an error

"Failure to run: chroot /target dpkg --force-auto-select --force-overwrite --force"

then I am taken back to the menu which the next option is to "Install the Base System".

Am I doing something wrong?  Is the woody install broken?  How can I do a clean install of woody?

~S