Re: RFD: Separate mailing list for users running testing?

--- Chris Halls <chris.halls@nikocity.de> wrote:
> I think both would be best :-)  i.e. more people helping the testing
> group, and a new list for people who are running testing/unstable and
> asking questions on debian-user.

I agree.

> Yes, we need more people to help do the work of the testing group, things
> like trying out the testing versions and trying to find problems to get
> things ready for general release.  And to that end, I did my first Woody
> install from scratch using Woody boot floppies this week!
>
> I think tluxt's idea was more to do with those users who are not
> necessarily specifically looking to be a tester, but are just trying to
> use Woody on a day to day basis.

Exactly.

> There are probably quite a lot of people
> in this category, who wouldn't necessarily be all that welcome on
> debian-testing with the nth question about getting soundcards working (and
> your comment on co-opting seems to agree with that).
>
> However, I think there could well be an advantage in having a seperate
> -user list.  If I look back over the last few of days in debian-user, I
> see several threads about testing/unstable for sound, and a couple for X
> windows and desktop environments.  Now, I was thinking: people who are in
> the testing group and package maintainers who do not want to monitor
> debian-user may be prepared to monitor a -user list just for
> testing/unstable, which is what they're concentrating on in their work.
> And people who are searching the list archives for questions about user
> problems in testing will not need to keep wading through all the other
> questions in debian-user which only apply to stable.  And people runnig
> stable will not be confused by all the traffic that does not apply to
> stable at all.

A great improvement over the current stuation!  :)

> Maybe if there was such a new list, it would be a great place to give
> regular plugs for the testing group :-)

In thinking about the name for this list, I think it should be
for people using the sw currently in the testing and unstable distributions
(unless it would be better to make a separate list for each of those cases).

Therefore I now propose the following list name possibilities:
debian-testing/unstable-user
debian-testunst-user
debian-TestUnst-user
debian-tu-user
debian-TU-user
debian-woody/sid-user
debian-woodysid-user
debian-WoodySid-user
debian-ws-user
debian-WS-user

Unless there are two lists, like:
debian-testing-user
debian-unstable-user
or
debian-woody-user
debian-sid-user

A comment on your previous suggestion:
> 2. What could we call such a list?  Possible suggestions:
>
>   debian-user-testing    (ie a debian-user list for those running testing)
>   debian-testing-user    (ie debian-testing for users instead of developers)
>   debian-user-woody      (it would get out of date to soon..)

I don't necessarily think it would get out of date too soon.
It depends on what will happen with the 'debian' list once Woody
is released as stable.  When that happens, will the 'debian' list become
about Woody, or remain being about Potato?
If it's about Woody, will another list be created for people who
want to discuss Potato?  Just because a new version comes out doesn't
mean that discussion will cease about the old distribution immediately.

I think it would be best to have a list pertaining to each major
version of debian.  Thus:

debian-potato
debian-woody

It seems to me that Sid won't be a version by itself, correct?
Sid seems to me to be the 'unstable' version of Woody, correct?

> My favourite is debian-user-testing, because debian-testing is so low traffic
> that it does not need to be 'split'.  And I think it's a bit more obvious for
> the actual users themselves.

I think the name "debian-testing-user" follows the pattern of existing
debian list names better than "debian-user-testing".
The list will be for 'users' of the distribution 'debian-testing(/unstable)'.

Just as debian-user is for 'users' of the distribution 'debian(-stable)'.

Ok, now after having thought about all the above, I believe that:
A new list should be created for users of the Woody distribution
(which is currently under development in the Woody & Sid
(testing & unstable) branches).
This list would focus on either:
1. Woody user issues, or
2. Woody and Sid user issues.
debian-woody-user

Perhaps, also, a list should be created for the users
of the Sid (unstable) branch of Woody, to focus strictly on the
user issues for Sid, (and specifically not about Woody/testing issues).
(Personally, I think this proposal is of secondary importance, and
need not be discussed further at this time.  If, after the creation
of a debian-woody-user list, a strong desire for a debian-sid-user
list occurs, then the issue of creating such a list could be worthwhile
to discuss.):
debian-sid-user

list, focusing on issues of using Woody (and Sid)
is the list that should be created now.