Re: Still no base tarball

Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> writes:

> base tarballs are obsolete and deprecated, period.

Well, kinda.  See below.

> the ONLY time a base tarball should be used to install the base system
> is for hard disk based installs. it should never be used for CD
> installs, or network installs, ever.

Right.  Dale seems to htink providing tarballs is more critical than
most others do, but since he's leading the testing effort, and if he
tells me that over 50% of his people can't test w/o it, I guess I have
to take his word.

But Ethan is perfectly correct that the CD#1 provides enough of the
archive to use for debootstrap.

The only cases where someone needs basedebs.tgz is (a) they have net
access, say, at work and not at home, and want to downlooad something
and ship it over, or (b) they are installing base via floppies.

However, even for these cases, we should provide basedebs.tgz and
split base provided in a well-known location, hopefully as part of the
Debian archive itself.

Maybe AJ disagrees?

> for CD installs and network installs debootstrap simply uses the
> normal debian archive, that is the .debs found in the pool and the apt
> Packages/Release files in dists/woody/binary-*  for CDs all necessary
> packages will be on CD1, for the network everything is there
> obviously.

Right.

> so the basedebs.tgz file should NOT be present on offcial Debian CDs,
> nor should it be used for CD based installs.

Exactly.

> dbootstrap or debootstrap will never download the basedebs.tgz file
> from the network, if you have network connectivity the real debian
> archive will be used, NOT a base tarball.

Right.

Agree with all the rest that Ethan says.

But the upshot is the same: We NEED, I think, a well-known location at
which to provide the basedebs.tgz.  Then we can document this in the
install manual, for the cases where people do need this (though rare).

I suggest dists/woody/main/disks-<arch>/base-YYYYMMDD/

That would contain both basedebs.tgz and images-1.44/base-*.bin
containing split images.