Re: stable-->testing report

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001 at 08:47:22PM -0700, Jim McCloskey wrote:
> The first subsequent iteration of `apt-get dist-upgrade'  produced
> this problem right at the start of the process:
>
> %% apt-get dist-upgrade
>    Reading Package Lists... Done
>    Building Dependency Tree... Done
>    Calculating Upgrade... Done
>    The following packages will be REMOVED:
>       catdvi dotfile dotfile-bash dotfile-elm dotfile-emacs dotfile-fvwm1
>       dotfile-fvwm2 dotfile-rtin dotfile-tcsh freetype2-dev libncurses4-dev
>       librpm1 libwmf0-dev minfo-smotif netscape4 pnmtopng tetex-lib tetex-nonfree
>       xcontrib xlib6g-dev xpm4g xpm4g-dev

Some of those are packages not in testing yet:

  * catdvi - actually, that wasn't in stable either

Some are packages removed/renamed since stable:

  * freetype2-dev -> libttf-dev
  * librpm1 -> librpm0
  * libwmf0-dev -> libwmf-dev
  * netscape4 -> netscape-*-477
  * pnmtopng -> netpbm
  * tetex-lib -> libkpathsea3
  * tetex-nonfree
  * xcontrib -> xbase-clients
  * xlib6g-dev -> xlibs-dev
  * xpm4g -> xlibs
  * xpm4g-dev -> xlibs-dev

Some are not in the main archive and presumably local or from older
stable distributions:

  * dotfile-emacs
  * minfo-smotif

libncurses4-dev is still in testing, but apt has replaced it with
libncurses5-dev. Not sure why dotfile-* is being removed.

>    perl: error while loading shared libraries: libdb.so.3: cannot open
>    shared object file: No such file or directory

That's release-critical (#107640 et al) and will be fixed.

> That installed fine. And when that was done, the upgrade proceeded in
> a familiar and reassuring way until:
>
>    Errors were encountered while processing:
>    /var/cache/apt/archives/exim_3.31-1_i386.deb
>    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Later output showed the preinst failing because /etc/exim doesn't exist
yet, which has been fixed in unstable. Creating the /etc/exim directory
by hand will help in the meantime, as you eventually did.

> At that point, I tried:
>
> %% dpkg --configure -a
>
> Which worked fine until:
>
>    Errors were encountered while processing:
>   [xfig, ted, debhelper, wmmail, wmaker, alien]

We'd need to see the corresponding error messages further up the output.

>     Unpacking replacement dnsutils ...
>     Errors were encountered while processing:
>     /var/cache/apt/archives/exim_3.31-1_i386.deb
>     E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
>
> %% dpkg --configure -a
>
>     dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of dnsutils:
>     dnsutils depends on host; however:
>     Package host is not installed.
>     dpkg: error processing dnsutils (--configure):
>     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Probably just because the installation run was interrupted.

> That completed uneventfully (except that I was asked about
> configuration details that I had already been asked about, with
> respect to fetchmail and with respect to the X server).

Those could be normal bugs against the packages in question. fetchmail
is substantially newer in unstable than in testing, and X has gone from
4.0.3-4 to 4.1.0-2, which might be relevant.

Thanks,