Re: boot-floppies 3.0.7 report

On Sat, Jul 14, 2001 at 06:00:39PM +0200, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> When I booted from the floppy, the first thing I saw was:
>
>     This disk uses the Linux kernel 2.2.19.
>
> I wondered why the floopies didn't ship with 2.4, but I fear 2.2.19
> has been decided upon.

because 2.4 is not stable.

2.2.19 has been decided on.

> Later, I got several
>
>     modprobe: Can't open depencides file /lib/modules/2.2.19/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
>
> messages.  Not nice.

need more info, cannot reproduce.

> Then I generated a root partition.  I think the output of mke2fs
> should not be shown.  It's very ugly to have a blue screen, then a
> black screen, then a blue screen again.  But I don't know how hard a
> wrapper for mke2fs would be, so some output could be shown, but not
> all.

very difficult.  and i think the mke2fs output is useful.

> Note that I didn't have a Debian CD, but another CD in my drive when I
> booted.  When it looked for {rescue,boot}.bin on my CD-ROM, it didn't
> tell me that my CD-ROM did not contain Debian, only that those .bin
> files were not found.  Is there no way to find out if a CD-ROM is a
> Debian CD?  Anyway, when I inserted the right CD (i.e. Debian), it
> worked.

its perfectly allowable for someone to burn a CD with just the
rescue.bin and drivers.tgz file tossed in, i have done this before
many times.  one should not be forced to build a Real CD just for
drivers install when doing the rest over http.  if the rescue.bin file
is not found that is a pretty good indication you have the wrong CD in
the drive IMO :P

> Then I was able to choose which modules to install... I thought it
> would be nice to see a short description of each module.  I think
> there is a tool to show such a short decription.  If not, perhaps the
> description could be taken from the configure file of the Linux
> kernel.

the descriptions are from the kernel, if you want better descriptions
go fix the kernel, or volunteer to write custom ones for the hundreds
of modules the kernel has.

> Then... it told me that "debootstrap exited with an error (return
> value 2).  I switched to console 4, and there is said
>
>     /usr/sbin/debootstrap: arithmetic expression: syntax error: "bootstrap: "

interesting.. ill try and find this.

> I don't think this is caused by my out-dated woody CD-ROM, but I am
> not sure.  What is it?

possibly but it looks like a bug anyway. unfortunatly posix shells are
notorious for giving out less then helpful errors.  you did not at
least get a line number?

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/