Re: Install Report II (The Revenge; bf 3.0.7 (beta); Acer Laptop; floppy/basedebs)

Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> writes:

> Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > This is a poor policy.  With about two seconds of work, I can think of
> > an environment in which you *don't* want a root password.  I'm sure
> > you can too.  Please don't assume that you already know exactly how
> > and where the system is going to be used when designing security
> > features; always make it possible for them to be turned off.
>
> You're welcome to turn it off with 'passwd', 'vi', or any other tool you
> like.

But why not simply let the installer do the right thing?  Why force
the user to go through extra hoops like that?

I would have no objection at all to a big warning, but outright
preventing a user on install from setting things the way they want
them is a bad policy.