Re: testing broken[?]

I experienced very similar problems on my two different Debian
installations. I am using the apt method with the dselect user
interface. Here is my list of sources:

odonnell@Celionati:~$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list
# Use for a local mirror - remove the ftp1 http lines for the bits
# your mirror contains.
# deb file:/your/mirror/here/debian stable main contrib non-free
# deb file:/mnt/cdrom/debian slink main contrib
# See sources.list(5) for more information, especial
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US woody non-US/main non-US/contrib non-US/non-free

deb http://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian woody main

Dselect offered to remove the following 142 packages:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  adduser aide alien alsa-source apel bitmap-mule bsdmainutils bug-buddy
  cdrdao codecommander console-apt custom-mule cvs debconf debhelper debview
  dh-make dia eeyes emacs20 emacsen-common enscript esound esound-clients
  esound-common gaim-gnome gdm gedit ghex ghostview glade-gnome gmc gnapster
  gnome-applets gnome-apt gnome-bin gnome-card-games gnome-chess
  gnome-control-center gnome-core gnome-games gnome-gataxx gnome-glines
  gnome-gnibbles gnome-gnobots2 gnome-gnometris gnome-gnomine gnome-gnotravex
  gnome-gtali gnome-gturing gnome-gv gnome-help gnome-iagno gnome-iconedit
  gnome-mahjongg gnome-media gnome-panel gnome-panel-data gnome-pim
  gnome-pim-conduits gnome-same-gnome gnome-session gnome-stones
  gnome-terminal gnome-utils gnome-xbill gnomehack gnomeicu gnotepad+ gnucash
  gnumeric gnuplot gpgp grdb gs gs-pdfencrypt gtop guitar gv haskell-mode
  hevea hylafax-client hyperlatex latex2html libcapplet0 libesd0
  libgdk-pixbuf-gnome2 libglade-gnome0 libgnome-pilot0 libgnome32
  libgnomemm1.1 libgnomeprint6 libgnomesupport0 libgnomeui32 libgnorba27
  libgnorbagtk0 libguilegnome0 libguilegtk0 libpaperg libsdl1.0 libsmpeg0
  libwine libzvt2 lilo linuxlogo lprng lynx lynx-ssl magicfilter memprof mpage
  mule2-bin mule2-support mule2-wnn netpbm octave octave2.0-emacsen pan
  phalanx pi-address pidentd poster pstoedit pstotext psutils realplayer
  rep-gtk-gnome rwho rwhod task-tex telnetd tkhylafax wine xchat-gnome
  xemacs21 xemacs21-bin xemacs21-mule xemacs21-mule-canna-wnn xemacs21-support
  xserver-xfree86 yacas yatex
73 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 142 to remove and 3 not upgraded.

I cancelled. This morning, I tried again on my desktop system and
found dselect much more reasonable. It only offered to remove 3
packages, with good solid conflict reasons. I repeated the INSTALL
step many times until it stabilized with one overwrite error
concerning xlibs_4.0.2-1_i386.deb. Outside of dselect, I went to
/var/cache/apt/archives and executed

	dpkg --force-overwrite --install xlibs_4.0.2-1_i386.deb

Back in dselect, I had to run the SELECT step (even though I didn't
change my selections) to get the dependency checking up to date, then
INSTALL once more, and now I seem to be back in synch.

Based on the experience above, I thought that there had been some bug
in the updates files from Debian or from Helix, which was corrected in
the last day or two.

But, I tried the process again on my laptop system, and found the
problem reduced but not eliminated. dselect offered to delete 52
packages, most of which appear to be fine, and some of them rather
important:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  alien arena autoconf automake base-config console-apt debhelper dlint
  doc-base dpkg-dev dpkg-ftp dpkg-perl dpkg-repack eperl fttools fvwm-common
  fvwmconf gmc gnome-apt gnome-faq gnucash i18ndata kernel-package latex2html
  libdigest-md5-perl libft-perl libhtml-parser-perl libhtml-tagset-perl
  libi18n-langtags-perl libjcode-perl libmime-base64-perl libnet-perl
  libnet-telnet-perl libtext-format-perl liburi-perl libwww-perl mgp
  perl-5.005 perl-5.005-suid perl-tk rpm task-dns-server task-gnome-desktop
  task-gnome-net task-tex tetex-lib xemacs21 xemacs21-basesupport xemacs21-bin
  xemacs21-mule xemacs21-support xpm4g
  ae cpp-2.95 electric-fence esound-clients g++-2.95 gcc-2.95 libbz2-1.0
  libdps1 libfreetype6 libkpathsea3 libnss-db libperl5.6 libregexx0
  libsasl-modules libtool libunicode0 libvorbis0 libxaw-dev libxaw6 libxaw7
  memprof mtr-tiny perl-5.6-base perl-doc perl-modules stl-manual swig
  transfig xlibs xlibs-dev xpdf xserver-common-v3 xserver-xfree86 xutils
246 packages upgraded, 34 newly installed, 52 to remove and 4 not upgraded.
2 packages not fully installed or removed.

The laptop system was initially installed from a TuxTops CD, which
apparently provided a few packages customized by TuxTops, with version
numbers higher than Debian unstable. I have already backed out of some
of those, but perhaps some other peculiarities of the TuxTops
configuration are still involved. Anyway, I'm afraid to let dselect
INSTALL run on the laptop until I understand the problem better.

Mike O'Donnell