locale problem after woody upgrade

Hello, folks.

I've upgraded from a slightly potato system to plain woody yesterday,
and now I got a really annoying problem. The modifications i had in
potato were: XF86 4.0.2 and Ximian stuff (gnome, evolution, red-carpet).
Aside from that, no other changes from Debian 2.2r2.

After upgrading to woody, some things related to locale was broken.

1) Locales like pt_BR.ISO-8859-1 doesn't work anymore. I can't specify
the charset
   on the locale. If I want portuguese messages, I have to set LANG as
pt_BR, but
   not pt_BR.ISO-8859-1. The problem here is that gdm uses
/etc/locale.alias, where
   all locales are defined with their charsets.

2) Also, if the locale is set to something with a charset, like
pt_BR.ISO-8859-1,
   any line of text with an accented character is truncated at the first
accented
   character. Most annoying.

2) No deadkeys. Deadkeys stopped working in X. I've tried the best I can
to make
   them work, without sucess. When I type a dead key, dead_acute for
example,
   nothing happens, it's like the key wasn't there. xev, however,
reports the
   pressing of the key.

Any help on this? I know libc has been upgraded from potato to woody,
but things shouldn't break like this. Was this expected and reported
before? Note: yes, I've compiled the locale definitions for pt_BR. When
upgrade locales, I edited /etc/locale.gen and uncommented en_US, pt_BR,
pt_PT and ja_JP.eucjp lines.

--

Ja ne,
   Marcus Brito