Re: Installing Woody

> I hope this is right place to post this 8-)

Kinda, I guess.

> The dist directory seems very incomplete.  I've got the Dell to the
> point where it will boot and run dselect, but it fails to install a
> large number of packages.  Looking at my local mirror (copy taken from
> ftp.uk.debian.org), many very significant packages seem to be missing.
> xfree 4.0 core, for example.  I see it in the pool, but not under the
> woody tree, not even as a symlink.

Debian changed the way it organizes its archives significantly a couple
of months ago.  There are now three levels of stability:

stable  == potato
testing == woody
unstable == sid

Previously, woody was unstable and there was no testing.  When woody
was unstable, it had X4, but when woody became testing, X4 and many
other packages were down-graded to older versions.

I run sid on most of my machines.  That's where the real testing
and development should be done, anyway.

> In the other lists, people are talking about Woody, so I
> suppose they've downloaded it from somewhere.

Either downloaded, or more commonly just using apt to fetch what was
needed.

> Should I instead be
> installing Potato and trying to upgrade package-by-package?  Surely not.

Surely yes.  That is the recommended way.  Especially if you have network
access.  Just install potato, edit /etc/apt/sources.list, and then
run apt-get dist-upgrade and you're done, you're running woody or sid
or whatever you like.

> Here's the mirror config I used (if it's any use): I flattened all the
> symlinks using the L flag in ls.

Don't use mirror.  It's a waste of bandwidth.  You'll suck down lots of
stuff you don't need.  If you're serving multiple hosts, you're better
off with something like apt-proxy.

Eric