Re: Another upgrade glitch

On Tue, Sep 19, 2000 at 07:22:43PM +0200, Karl Hammar wrote:

> For your information.
> My potato install from scratch don't contain the
> /etc/X11/window-managers file.
> So that file is problably not used by potato.

Yup.  This is obsolete.

[snip]

> > > the kernel to set up a gateway, and when I rebooted my old X configuration
> > > went away. Instead of wmaker as my window manager, I now have fvwm
> > > instead. I was asked no questions about this during the upgrade, and can't
> > > quite figure out what happened.
> > >
> > > /etc/X11/window-managers says:
> > >
> > > /usr/bin/X11/wmaker
> > > /usr/bin/X11/fvm95
> > > /usr/bin/X11/icewm
> > > /usr/bin/X11/afterstep
> > >
> > > wmaker _is_ installed, but instead of my pretty desktop I get the funky
> > > virtual desktop of fvwm, after a complaint that there is no init file.
> > >
> > > Anybody know what happened? More to the point, how do I fix this to get
> > > back my desired desktop?
> >
> > I noticed that we now have an /etc/alternatives/x-window-manager

Use it.  "update-alternatives --config x-window-manager" ought to do it.
If any of these guys haven't been upgraded and aren't registered, then
you can do something like:

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/x-window-manager \
    x-window-manager /usr/bin/gnome-session 50 \
    --slave /usr/share/man/man1/x-window-manager.1.gz \
    x-window-manager.1.gz /usr/share/man/man1/gnome-session.1.gz

to register it or see update-alternatives(8) and season to taste.
Then do the --config.

Steve

--
Steve Bowman  <sbowman@frostwork.net> (preferred)