Network, lp and gpm problems

Hi,

Not too sure whether this is still relevant or if this is the correct
place.  I have recently built two identical boxes from the final potato
pre-release of August and have a couple of problems/comments with the
working systems.  These problems may be due to non-testing stuff hence
my lack of certainty on the relevance of the post.

I didn't use any of the pre-configured distributions.

My first problem comes when installing drivers, a lot of the drivers have
empty or "no comment available" at the side of them.  This is confusing
when we sometimes have two or more drivers that look the same e.g. serial
and generic serial, parallel and lp drivers.  This is a particular problem
when dealing with the network drivers and the miscellaneous drivers.

Repeating some of the above, I found the serial and parallel ports
difficult to set up, because of a lack of guidance on what to use,
consequently I have two systems that do not have working parallel and
serial ports.  This is not really a problem because they are black boxes
and these ports aren't used.  However in the future I have several more
of these to build and would like to have them working, even if it's just
so I can get gpm running to help me cut and paste.

The kernel seems to detect the serial ports but gpm doesn't work.  The
parallel port (lp module) just tells me the resource is busy.

Final problem is the network card.  I installed a couple of NE2000 clones
(Realtek 8029 based ne2k-pci module) PCI based cards into one box and
a single card into the other box.  These two boxes were wired back to
back via a crossover cable :-

       +-+      +-+
       |A| ---- |B| ---- Internet
       +-+      +-+

The link to the Internet from B works fine.  The link A-B is shall we
say strange.  It works fine, however there is a 3 second delay from when
I do a telnet between the boxes and when the prompt arrives.  There is
also long delay between when I press a key and the echo coming back.  I
installed ssh and it works fine.  I can reduce the three second delay by
running a ping.  If a ping is running, the response happens as soon as
the link "wakes up" because of the ping.  It seems as if the link goes
to sleep, buffers the traffic and waits for something to happen before
sending the data.

I'm running MySQL on A and it has the same three second problem, however
once the connection is established, the results come back quickly.
To minimise delays, I currently have a ping running as a background
process between A and B, however I don't like this.  As far as I can
see, routing is correct (pings wouldn't work), DNS is correct (I can do
digs on both boxes and the return the correct info).  There is no NIS,
tcpdump doesn't show anything, the Ethernet FAQ doesn't show anything.
Is this a known problem or is it a problem with the default drivers used ?

Hardware :-

AMD Athlon 600
Gigabyte GA71XE Motherboard with AMD 751/756 Chipset
0.5GB ram
Vortex GDT6518RS SCSI Raid Controller
IDE CD ROM
Two Realtek 8129 NE2000 Clone Network Cards
ATI Rage 8MB Video Controller

Regards,

Dave
mail/debian/testing/2000-09-05.tx              debian-testing@lists.debian.org
| Dave Restall              Internet Intranet Resourcing Consultancy Limited |
| Tel. +44 (0) 1287 653003  Mob. +44 (0) 973 831245 Fax. +44 (0) 1287 652546 |
| email : dave@iirc.net       dave@restall.net     Web : http://www.iirc.net |