hideous mouse problem

I have had to reinstall Potato six times now. Something goes wrong each
time, leaving me with a non-functioning system. I am using LInux System
Labs CDs, the 3-cd set.
Right now, the mouse doesn't work. It's either frozen or bouncing
uncontrollable all over the screen. OK, I see that I must disable gpm to
get it to work. But how can I disable gpm? I have no access to it.
Debian bounces straight into GNOME. Ctl-alt-bkspace just takes me back
to the GNOME log-in. Isn't there some way for me to get into the command
line?
This is driving me batty.
Help.
STeve W.