2000-07-14 install success (after a workaround)

I grabbed the contents of (recursively)
ftp.ca.debian.org/debian/dists/frozen/main/disks-i386/2.2.16-2000-07-14/ and
burned it to a cd.

Booted from floppy (rescue.bin) and started the install
procedure. I didn't have any problems installing until
I got to the "Configure Device Drivers & Modules" stage.

When I first selected it, aside from the help text the
only line I saw was "Exit. ... return to previous menu"

I carried on anyway and finished installing. On reboot
I could only log in on [Alt-F2] and a lot of commands
yielded a "modprobe failure". I restarted the install
from scratch (I think I re-initialized all partitions
but I don't remember for sure). Everything went exactly
the same as the first round. At the modules stage:

[Alt-F3] had this message (among others):

    (none) user.info dbootstrap[236]: \
    /lib/modules/boot: Too many levels of symbolic links
    (none) user.info dbootstrap[236]: depmod: \
    Can't open /lib/modules/2.2.17/modules.dep for writing

Last three lines of [Alt-F4] were:
    Freeing unused kernel memory: 140k freed
    kmod: runaway modprobe loop assumed and stopped
    kmod: runaway modprobe loop assumed and stopped

I popped over to [Alt-F2] and started looking around.
I found a symbolic link in /libs to /target/libs/modules
but /target/libs/modules was an empty file instead of a
directory (see depmod err above).

After some more bumbling and fumbling in the dark (is
there a reason for not having commandline history and
tab completion?) I discovered a modules.old directory
which was populated with a bunch of things. I killed
/target/usr/lib/modules and moved modules.old into it:

rm /target/usr/lib/modules
mv /target/usr/lib/modules.old /target/usr/lib/modules

I went back to the install script [Alt-F1] and restarted
the Devices & Modules stage. This time I got a list of
categories and devices to choose from. From there on
I did not encounter any further problems.

If anybody wants details on the machine etc. let me
know (email me direct, I'm not subsribed to the list).

cheers,

-matt