Re: 2.2.16 i386 build available for testing

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 10:13:02PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > Joey Hess has kindly provided i386 builds of 2.2.16 boot-floppies.
> > Please test these for critical bugs -- by critical, I mean bugs which
> > prevent installation in common scenarios.  Specifically, installation
> > via 'mounted' means, from DOS.
> >
> > We also need to check that loading modules which require arguments works,
> > that pcmcia works, and that the /lib/modules symlink problem doesn't
> > appear, or if it does, how to reproduce it.
>
> Adam forgot to mention that they're at http://www.debian.org/~joeyh/bf/

The following isn't a critical bug.

With the images at the above location (dated Jun 29 18:30) the following
message appears numerous times before dbootstrap begins:

modprobe: modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.2.17/modules.dep (No such file or directory)

followed by

kmod: runaway modprobe loop assumed and stopped

followed by more of the first message.  I then get a message saying that
init (aka BusyBox) has started.  I may be missing some messages as I am
using Shift-PageUp from the first blue screen, and I'm not sure if it
overwrites some of the messages.  On virtual console 4, the kmod warning
appears twice.

By going to virtual console 2 and looking in /lib/modules, I found two
directories, 2.2.17/ (which is empty), and misc/ (which contains unix.o
and af_packet.o).  From looking at an installed system, I think that
misc/ should be a subdirectory of 2.2.17/.  I'm not sure if an empty
modules.dep should also be in 2.2.17/ or not.  How do I mount an old
root.bin to see what used to be there?

I don't see why any of this would be dependent on my system (other than
it being slow enough that I actually see the messages).

Matt