Re: potato ssh problem

# apt-get remove ssh
# apt-get remove debconf
# dpkg -i ssh_1.2.3-7_i386.deb

This works. Note that I didn't go all the way back to perl-5.004 and no
perl-5.005 (the conditions when I discovered this). Owing to the nature
of the problem I thought it unnecessary (and a huge waste of bandwidth
to re-fetch all those perl debs).

On Wed, Jun 28, 2000 at 03:11, Philip Hands wrote:
> Pann McCuaig <pann@ourmanpann.com> writes:
>
> > apt-get install ssh
> >
> > in potato requires debconf, which requires perl-5.005. With perl-5.004
> > only (from a slink->potato upgrade) ssh configuration fails.
> >
> > This dependency isn't stated, and in fact a bogus warning message is
> > given about needing to install debconf only if you're upgrading from
> > non-free SSH and are using it for the upgrade.
>
> You're quite right, unfortunately.  It looks like I forgot to put the
> debconf installation check around a call to db_stop in the postinst.
>
> I've just uploaded 1.2.3-7 to non-us's incoming, which should install
> without debconf being around.  It's also available here:
>
>   http://www.hands.com/~phil/debian/openssh/ssh_1.2.3-7_i386.deb
>
> Please test it.
>
> Cheers, Phil.

Cheers,
 Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice                     L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\