Re: Booting of PPC Installation on PowerPC/Mac impossible?

Thanks for your help. In the meantime I even got a nvsetenv output from
Guillaume for the 9500 (attached). Mine is basically the same (differences
also attached). But is see still the black screen (and the system does not
reply on ping, so it is probably not only a display problem). My procedure is
currently

- Having the root partition on /dev/sda2 (not sure what sda1 is, I can't get
rid of it).

- make system bootable from harddisk in dh_bootstrap (creates a (reasonable)
quik.conf, (attached))

- /target/sbin/quik -C /target/etc/quik.conf -r /target

- chroot /target

- nvsetenv boot-device scsi-int/sd@0:0

- optionally change boot-command to what was suggested by Guillaume

- Reboot from dh-bootstrap.

The I get only sound: a bing, four beeps and another bing. But the screen
remains black.

If there are no obvious mistakes in this procedure, I think I should realize
that Debian is simply not working on the 9500 from Apple (for me and order an
i386:-().

An installation cycle is now really qui(c)k, so it is not a big effort to
modify something in the procedure.

Thanks again for your help.

Rainer.

> On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 09:31:53PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> >
> > http://www.debian.de/Lists-Archives/debian-powerpc-0006/msg00018.html
> >

> That's one of them, yes.
>
> > This in combination with the above post brought me a black screen (but I
> > managed already to start the next installation cycle). Is there any
> > deterministic approach to find out the path? Or to get a list of possible
> > paths?
>
> Nope :(  That's the big problem.  We're working on a way to get this
> from the kernel.
>
> > Can I somehow enter OF as it is possible by pressing Del to enter a i386 BIOS?
> > Is this documented somewhere?
>
> You need to hold down cmd-opt-O-F, but first you need to properly set
> kbd and screen aliases.  I don't know what the 9500 uses.
>
> > I guess, I should first run quik and then do the chroot. Right? That might
> > have been my mistake in the first trial.
>
> Doesn't matter which order.
>
> Dan
>
> /--------------------------------\  /--------------------------------\
> |       Daniel Jacobowitz        |__|        SCS Class of 2002       |
> |   Debian GNU/Linux Developer    __    Carnegie Mellon University   |
> |         dan@debian.org         |  |       dmj+@andrew.cmu.edu      |
> \--------------------------------/  \--------------------------------/
>

> --

#forw [forwarded message] +/home/rainer/Mail/linux/debian/powerpc 25

little-endian?  false
real-mode?      false
auto-boot?      true
diag-switch?    false