CD Upgrade report

I want to report about a CD upgrade using the latest CD set from
ftp://ftp.fsn.hu/pub/CDROM-Images/debian-unofficial/. I am not sure, because I
do not have a detailed log about the upgrade.

The system was installed with hamm and upgraded to slink, when slink was
released.

The most important results:
- There is no documentation at all for the upgrade (at least I did not find
anything)
- The upgrade went more or less ok. The less might be caused by the missing
documentation.

How I did it:

Tried to find out what the documentation says about the upgrade process.

1. Checked toplevel README: from slink

2. Checked /doc: doc/install/install.en.txt points to online url:
   http://www.debian.org/releases/2.2/i386/release-notes/. Document is
   not on cd and online url does not work.

3. Checked toplevel README.multicd. Says
Multi CD installation for Debian 2.2

You must use apt-cdrom ...

EXPLAIN WHAT'S NEEDED HERE

Documentaion is not available. Try it on my own now...

0. apt-cdrom is not available -> need new apt
1. Put only
deb file:/cdrom/debian stable main
in /etc/apt/sources.list
2. Put CD-1 in CDROM drive and mount it manually
3. apt-get update
4. apt-get install apt
   Replaced apt, glibc, g++,... and other packages -> new apt is here
5. Executed apt-cdrom add (Read this somewhere before) foreach cdrom
6. Removed line added in step 1
7. Did apt-get update
8. Did apt-get upgrade:
The following packages have been kept back
  aalib1 ae auctex bash bc bibindex bzip2 cstocs cvs dialog dosemu dpkg
  dpkg-dev dpkg-perl dvilx dwww dxpc efax elvis-tiny emacs20 gettext
  gimp-nonfree gnuplot ical info junkbuster kbd kernel-package latex2html less
  lesstifg libgpmg1 libgtkmm libgtkmm-dev libhtml-parser-perl
  libmime-base64-perl libnet-perl libpam0g libreadline2 libreadlineg2
  libwww-perl login lynx lyx metamail mh mswordview ncurses-bin netbase netstd
  nfs-server nvi passwd perl perl-base perl-suid ppp pppconfig procps psmisc
  python-base python-examples python-mpz python-tk shellutils slang1 sox ssh
  sudo sysutils sysvinit talk tcsh telnet tetex-base tetex-bin tetex-doc
  tetex-extra tetex-nonfree util-linux w3mir whiptail wine wwwoffle
  xbase-clients xfonts-100dpi xfonts-75dpi xfonts-base xfonts-scalable xfstt
  xpdf-i xscreensaver xserver-common xserver-mach64 xserver-vga16 xterm
218 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 96 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/61.2MB of archives. After unpacking 39.4MB will be used.

Disk 1 was requested.
menu entry of dwww is over 2 years old and thus incompatible.
Decided to de- and reinstall dwww later on
Disk 2 was requested
Disk 3 was requested
Disk 4 was requested

Could not write down the error messages for

 fvwm-common
 gs-aladdin
 gv
 libforms0.88
 ghostview

Did another apt-get upgrade:
 another bunch of packages was set up. no errors.

Another apt-get upgrade brought no progress:
grieve# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
[...]
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 96 not upgraded.
grieve#

Decided to do a dselect->access->apt / dselect->update / deslect->install to
upgrade the remaining packages:

removed xproc and newt0.25 to avoid dependency conflicts.

Disk 1 was requested.
Unable to load NLS charset iso8859-1(nls_iso8859_1)
E: This installation run will require temporarily removing the essential
package libpam0g due to a Conflicts/Pre-Depends loop. This is often bad, but
if you really want to do it, activate the APT::Force-LoopBreak option.
E: Internal Error, Could not early remove libpam0g
Some errors occurred while unpacking. I'm going to configure the
packages that were installed. This may result in duplicate errors
or errors caused by missing dependencies. This is OK, only the errors
above this message are important. Please fix them and run [I]nstall again
Press enter to continue.

Try to install libpam0g explicitly using apt-get install:

grieve# apt-get install libpam0g
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
  libpam-runtime
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  libpam0g-util
  libpam-runtime
1 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 95 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/97.5kB of archives. After unpacking 278kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

A new dselect round:
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gmp gmp2 kbd* kbd-data lesstif libmd5-perl libwine0.0.971116 netstd
  newt0.25* perl perl-suid ppp-pam python-misc python-net smail* telnet
  xfntcyr xproc*
  bootpc console-data console-tools console-tools-libs debconf dupload exim
  finger fingerd fping freetype2 gettext-base gimp heimdal-clients heimdal-lib
  icmpinfo libbz2 libdigest-md5-perl libforms0.89 libggi-target-vcsa libggi2
  libgii0 libgimp1.1.17 libglib1.2 libgmp2 libgsm1 libgtk1.2 libjpeg-progs
  liblockfile1 libltdl0 libltdl0-dev liblzo1 libncurses5 libnet-telnet-perl
  libnewt0 libopenldap-runtime libopenldap1 libpam-modules libpcre2 libpopt0
  libreadline4 libssl09 libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1 libtimedate-perl liburi-perl
  libwine libwmf0 libwrap0 logrotate mailtools mesag3+ggi nfs-common
  perl-5.004 perl-5.004-base perl-5.004-doc perl-5.004-suid perl-5.005
  perl-5.005-base pidentd rdate rdist ruptime rusers rwall rwho rwhod t1lib1
  tcl8.2 tcpd tetex-lib texinfo tftp tk8.2 traceroute whois
90 packages upgraded, 75 newly installed, 18 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B/95.7MB of archives. After unpacking 78.8MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Got several requests to insert disk 1 although it was already in the drive.
Media Change: Please insert the disc labeled 'Debian GNU/Linux potato
(unofficial) binary-i386 1/4 20000514' in the drive '/cdrom/' and press enter

During dselect->Install: fs is full
dselect-> remove tetex
dselect->Install does not work any more

Use now
apt-get -f install
Installation continues.
Disk 2 is requested.
Wow! Problem fixed!!!

Try to continue with dselect->install
Disk 3 is requested.
Disk 1 is requested.
Disk 2 is requested.
Disk 4 is requested.

Installed 2.2.15 kernel image.

It seems to me that most of the things are working now. I need to update the
.fvwm2 directory and compile a new kernel, configure xfstt to use M$ fonts,
but then things should work again.

Thanks.

Rainer.