X11 install experiences

I have been using the 2.2.8 floppies to do installation testing, and have
had some "interesting" experiences with the X11 portion of the install
process.

First, when running the base-config script that executes the first time
you reboot after the base install, I can select both X11 tasks and all the
GNOME tasks, yet nothing gets installed from these packages.

When I run apt-get to install them everything works more or less ok.
Several problems were encountered:

   1. For the virtual xserver entry apt-get installed the w3 server, and I
      had to ask for the svga server explicitly in an additional command.

   2. After installing xf86setup, XF86Setup refused to run because there
      was no VGA16 server. The Depends line says: xserver-vga16 | xserver.
      This should be reduced to xserver-vga16.

   3. When I tried to start X after configuring, the server would refuse
      to run, claiming a call to /dev/mouse held invalid arguments.
      The mouse device is a link to gpmdata and probably should not be
      used. This is more true as the configuration was told the mouse was
      on /dev/ttyS0.

   4. After fixing the link for /dev/mouse I got nothing but the twm
      window manager, even though I installed both olwm and olvwm and told
      the olvwm postinstall to make it the  default window manager.

   5. I also installed all of the GNOME tasks, but got nothing assigned to
      the desktop. How do I enable GNOME once I have installed it?

Thanks,

Dwarf