Re: PHP3- & iodbc-problem...

On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 05:51:41PM +0100, Stephan Jaeger generated a stream of 1s and 0s:
> Hi,
>
> I have set up a new Debian Web-Server, which should have access to a
> WinNT-MSSQL7-Database-Server.
> I have chosen the frozen distribution and I installed the binaries for
> apache, php3 and iodbc.
>
> How do I have to setup the Debian-Server to have access to the MSSQL?
> Do I have to re-compile the original Debian-sources?
> Do I have to configure the php3.ini?
> Do I need openlink ODBC, as well?
>
> Or, should I ignore the Debian-binaries for apache, php3 and iodbc and
> install these three software packages on my own?
>
> I hope that this is the right list here and that there is someone out there,
> who can help me!!
>
> Thanks in advance for your support,
>
> Stephan Jaeger

Arggghhh. I am afraid I am going to have to deal with this problem also
very soon. Sybase and MSSQL were absolutely the same till version 7 came
out. Not so long ago, you could simply install Sybase client libraries,
and talk to M$SQL. They speak TDS (Tabular Data Stream), and as you know M$ loves to break everything and shove NT down your and my throat; TDS versions are
not compatible between the two. You could compile your stuff against
FreeTDS (www.freetds.org) and if the stuff works leave it at that. Or,
you can pay big bucks for proprietary ODBC drivers and deal with their
manuals; or you can try iODBC. Your decision will influence how stuff will be developed (i.e. ODBC way or the way php does it for MSSQL. Better off, don't run MSSQL at all if you can.