Re: Best way to be a tester

"Ross Boylan" <rboylan@mindspring.com> writes:

> I'm about ready to do an install of debian, and thought the most useful
> thing might be for me to test the new (potato?) install procedure from
> scratch.  I figure most people have been upgrading existing distributions,
> so it would be more valuable to start without one.

Huh.  I actually doubt there has been much full-scale slink -> potato
testing, not to mention hamm or rexx -> potato.

> Is this the best (that is, most useful to debian, yet feasible and
> reasonably safe for me) thing to do?

Sure, why not.

> If so, exactly what should I do?  There was a notice about a month ago about
> the need to test boot floppies, but it points to some alpha links, and I
> think we're past alpha.

Well, we're still in alpha, I would say.

> There was also notice about a testing distribution
> at lully.debian.org, but I can not access that site (is it down? obsolete?)
> as of 11:45 am pacific Wednesday.

Use 2.2.3 from unstable.  We are still planning to add the following:

  * anXious from 'xviddetect' pkg, so please test that too

  * debconf-tiny in base, with the apt-configurator which should
    be in debconf-tiny now, if it's not in debconf itself still,
    so please try that and comment to Joey Hess.

    I'm actually thinking of changing the post-install tasks (shadow
    passwords, etc.) so they use debconf-tiny -- patches or ideas
    appreciated.

  * bootp/dhcp, but it's not there yet

  * I think we should try to fix the lilo bugs which are in the BTS,
    patches appreciated -- my response from the lilo maintainer has
    not been good.

Big known problem:

  * driver floppies don't work!!

> Relevant facts:
> * Only a 56k modem, but would consider an overnight download.

Ouch.

> If doing the whole thing is inadvisable for some reason, I'd also be willing
> to test boot floppies and the initial install procedure, and then go ahead
> with a regular 2.1 install.

You mean 2.2 -- potato is Debian 2.2.

Go ahead and test it out.