boot-floppies 2.2.0 report

CONFIGURATION:
	motherboard:	Gigabyte GA-5AX rev 4.1 Award BIOS rev 1.5
	cpu:		AMD K6-2/333
	memory:		128MB PC100 sdram 95MHZ / 128MB Swap partition
	disks:		1.44 Teac floppy
			hda Quantum 6149MB udma
			sda Seagate 1010MB SCSI-2
			sdb IBM 4134MB Ultra-SCSI
	partition:	hda1 msdos 509MB (DR-DOS 7.03)
			hda2 extended 3618MB
			hda3 ufs 1026MB (Solaris 7)
			hda4 ffs 797MB (FreeBSD 3.2)
			hda5 linux swap 125MB (linux+hurd swap)
			hda6 ntfs 804MB (WinNT 4.0)
			hda7 ext2 804MB (production slink system)
			hda8 ext2 804MB (unused)
			hda9 ext2 1277MB (unused)

			sda1 ext2 210MB (production data backup)
			sda2 ext2 800MB (production backup system)

			sdb1 extended 1725MB
			sdb2 ffs 807MB (FreeBSD 3.2)
			sdb3 ext2 800MB (unused)
			sdb4 ext2 800MB (HURD testing)
			sdb5 linux swap 125MB (linux+hurd swap)
			sdb6 ext2 800MB (production backup system)
			sdb7 ext2 800MB (potato test system)
	scsi:		Buslogic BT-946C SCSI-2
	sound card:	Creative SB 16 PNP
	video card:	Diamond Stealth 64 Video VRAM (4MB vram)
	cd-rom:		Sony CDU-76S SCSI-2
	modem:		Zoom 56K v.90 Internal
	mouse:		PS/2 Logitech Mouseman+
	keyboard:	Keytronic KB101+ PC-AT
	net card:	Linksys LNE100TX ver 2.0

TESTING TARGET:
	task:		Base system installation
	source:		boot-floppies 2.2.0 from Incoming

PREPARATION:
	Downloaded base2_2.tgz, basecont.txt, drv14-1.bin, drv14-2.bin,
	drv14-3.bin, install.en.txt, md5sum.txt, resc1440.bin, root.bin,
	root1440.bin.txt to /dev/hda7:/home/jeff/debian/potato/base
	directory.  Verified md5 checksums.  Formatted two error free
	floppies, then used dd to make resc1440.bin and root1440.bin disks.

PROCESS:
	Booted with resc1440 disk, used root1440 as ramdisk.

PROBLEMS:

	1. The SPI message splash screen has line wrap problems
           and needs to be properly formatted.

        2. The blinking cursor appears on every screen, I find it
           to be obnoxious.

        3. "Installing Operating System Kernel and Modules".  The
           sentence "Please select the medium you will use to
           install the system from", I found to be confusing.
           What "system" are we installing here?  I selected the
           archive path "list" option, and I was told that it
           "couldn't find any directory containing a file
           resc1440.bin", note that the indicated file does exist
           at the path I specified.  Then I tried the "choose
           manually" option, this time it responded with
           "/instmnt/home/jeff/debian/potato/base does not contain
           the file drivers.tgz that is needed to install the
           kernel and the modules", which is accurate, because
           there was no such file to download, only
           drv14-[123].bin were available.

        4. I opened a VT shell to look around.  I invoked "vi",
           which responded with "ae: problem with configuration
           file, line 0.", from then on that VT session was
           unusable untill I kill -9 it.  Next I tried "ae", which
           worked ``OK'' as far as "ae" is concerned; I soon found
           out that there is no search command in "ae", and grep
           returned an error that the real grep was not yet
           available.  I am an Emacs devotee, but here I would
           prefer elvis_tiny, even ed over ae.

        5. I was ready to give up at this point so I tried making
           a boot floppy, which failed, and rightly so at this
           point it seems to me.

        6. I next tried the partition listing, worked great, well
           done, thanks.

        7. I then selected "Reboot" - this worked as expected.

COMMENTS:
	A great beginning.  It went much smoother than I expected
	for 2.2.0, keep up the good work!

HTH,
--
Jeff Sheinberg  <jeffsh@erols.com>