Debian Rescue Floppy / Adaptec bug redux

Hi.  Sorry for the huge CC but you've probably proposed to help if you
crept onto that list.

I am hoping to actually *make* progress on this issue.  The status at
this point is that we have two attempts to take later drivers and
patch the 2.0.36 (debian 3) source for these.

Karl's approach is available at <URL:ftp://kalle.csb.ki.se/pub/> and
desribed at
<URL:http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-testing-9904/msg00059.html>.

Marcelo's approach is, in his own words, take

  a 2.0.36 kernel, configured the same way the rescue floppy is, but
  using the aic driver version 5.1.15.

As I understand it, that is not a clean patch.  Also, Marcelo lost the
source but could probably reconstruct it.

I think an alternative approach, describe by Ossama at
<URL:http://www.debian.org/~ossama/DELL6300>, is to actually keep the
debian 2.0.36-3 kernel, but one that *only* supports the aic7xxxx
controllers.  This might solve the problem for a different subset of
users -- I have heard reported cases where the WD scsi controller
probes hung the adaptecs.

What I need, for the boot floppies, is simply someone to hand me a
kernel image and a patch (basically, the compiled kernel, the patch
against the debian 2.0.36, and the kernel config used to build the
kernel).  It is *not* the case that we necessarily need to make this
2.0.36-4.... if we need to, we can simply add another rescue/drivers
set like we do for tecra.

I am happy to do whatever I can to help, that is, nudge people along
and make a pest of myself -- however, I don't have an problematic
adaptec controller so cannot neither test nor certify fixes.