Re: debian 2.1r3 needed and release team coordination

On Tue, Apr 06, 1999 at 01:32:37PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:

> > > Are they incompatible?

Nope. AFAIK Alsa was designed with an easy transition from OSS in mind.

> > > I refer to /dev/sound, /dev/dsp, etc.
>
> [ oops, I meant /dev/audio ].
>
> > I believe so.  However, ALSA is available as a separate package, while OSS
> > is not.  It would be possible to create the OSS devices as part of the
> > base install and replace them with the ALSA version if the ALSA packages
> > are installed.
>
> Sorry for my ignorance, I didn't know this.
>
> Do you mean these devices have different major and/or minor numbers
> under OSS and under ALSA in such way that they may not be present
> in the system at the same time?

Nope. Device files can be present at the same time. OSS uses major 14 and
minors from 0 to 15 for the first soundcard. (16 to 31 for the
second).
Alsa devices are created on the fly. The Directory /dev/snd is a link to
/proc/asound/dev/ and contains the device files.
ALSA uses the same major but different minors (144 and above). Still
it can emulate OSS behavior by loading the module snd-pcm1-oss.

Probably you could even have both -Alsa(without OSS-Emulation) and OSS-
loaded at the same time. As long as you have two soundcards.
I'd try to load both drivers for the same soundcard at the same time but
OSS doesn't support the PCI cards I have.

One of the Alsa packages (the tar balls from http://alsa.jcu.cz/ )
includes a script to create the OSS devices but last time I checked it
didn't include options to set the permissions and ownership according
to debian policy.

-heinrich

--
                    Heinrich Langos <heinrich@null.net>