Slink Base Install RANT

Let me preface this by saying I'm a big fan of Debian. One reason I've
not contributed much testing to this release is a new job where I look
after many Debian boxes.

I finally got around to doing my first base install of slink this
morning.

<RANT>
The first thing a newcomer to our distribution sees is the installation.

***  GET RID OF THE GODDAMN BLANK LINES IN THE MODULE DESCRIPTIONS!  ***

What's a newbie to think? If I don't know what this module is I probably
don't need to install it?

***  GET RID OF THE GODDAMN BLANK LINES IN THE MODULE DESCRIPTIONS!  ***
</RANT>

When I raised this same issue while testing hamm I assumed it would be
taken care of for slink. Silly me. I even went so far as to download the
boot-floppies package to see if I could figure out where the text went
and offer to fix it myself. With the time I had available I never did
get the organization of that package deciphered.

When I looked before, there was a description of every one of these
modules available as part of the "Help" option of the kernel
configuration process.

That means that the text is there. It shouldn't take too much effort to
tailor it to fit the menus in the installation.

<HAPPY FACE>
The base install of slink from the latest boot floppies went smoothly.
</HAPPY FACE>

Cheers,
 Pann
--
Pann McCuaig          pann@ssc.com       PO Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155
Technical Manager                          Phone: (206) 782-7733 ext 122