Debian 2.1 Install / 2940 SCSI card / won't boot

> The current boot kernel has a known problem with AIC7xxx-based
> SCSI cards, such as the Adaptec AHA-2940. In some cases,
> adding the boot arguments aic7xxx=no_probe has worked around
> the problem. Hopefully, this problem will be fixed soon. Email
> debian-testing@lists.debian.org if you want to help diagnose and
> test new kernels to solve this problem.

( from http://www.debian.org/releases/2.1/i386/ch-rescue-boot.en.html )

argh - it doesn't work! adding the boot argument thingy didn't help.
Could you please tell me how to get around this problem, or point
me to where I can find online help for it?

The boot halts after the message "Downloading sequencer instructions
- please wait" is displayed.

I installed the previous version of Debian (2.0?) with no problems, but
my 2.1 disk will not boot - I've even tried a different 2940 card!

Thanks

pat byrne