Re: boot floppies hang. kernel image problems

A desparate user and willing tester!  Please send him info on where
to get the test kernel or test boot-floppies. Thanks.

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Tue, 04 May 1999 09:31:08 -0500
From: "James Rodgers" <jrrodgers@hti.com>
To: Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com>, James Rodgers <jrrodgers@hti.com>
Subject: Re: boot floppies hang. kernel image problems
Sender: root <root@burrito.onshore.com>

Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> > The problem I am experiencing is with the boot floppy images on slink.
> > Problem is as follows:
>
> > On a number of systems, the bootup from the floppy images on the Slink
> > 2.1 CD(original CD, r0) will hang because of the auto-probe by the
> > WD-7000.  The system contains a single Adaptec 2940UW SCSI controller,
> > which is detected.  BUT, prior to SCSI device detection, the WD-7000
> > code tries to auto-probe the hardware, and cold-locks the system.  I
> > have heard of similar problems from friends.  Now, I need the Adaptec
> > support because this is a SCSI only system, but I can't use Debian at
> > ALL on certain motherboards because of the WD-7000 probe.  Now, I see
> > three possible ways of solving this problem.  1) remove the WD7000
> > from the base kernel, and make it a module.  2) change the code so
> > modules can be loaded or removed without needing to set up a root
> > partition.  3) try going to a 2.2 kernel on the base floppies, and
> > hope that the auto-probe doesn't lock up the systems.
>
> > If the kernel had a way to disable the WD-7000 probe through a kernel
> > option, that would also solve the problem I am encountering.  I have
> > removed the Adaptec from the system, and I don't experience the
> > problem, so it APPEARS that the WD7000 code is hitting the 2940 and
> > locking the system.  I don't know why, and it doesn't happen on MOST
> > of the systems I run.  Perhaps it's a BIOS issue, perhaps not, but who
> > uses a WD7000 SCSI controller?
>
> David, this is a slight variation on known bug with the kernels which
> ship with slink.
>
> I've been trying to motivate people to fix these problems but we don't
> seem to have many testers available.  If you are willing to test this
> problem, please reply and say so (make sure to CC
> debian-testing@lists.debian.org).
>
> --
> .....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onShore.com.....<URL:http://www.onShore.com/>
>
> --

     Greetings,
     I have been out of business for about six months because of this aha2940uw
problem.

     This problem is covered buy bug #'s 37074, 34845, 34749 and 34328 and
appears too be caused by  the aic7xxx driver.  In my case, it affects both an
aha2940uw and an aha2842 adapter.  Both of my PC's at homehave either of these
devices and both hang after downloading 419 instructions in the case of the
aha2940uw or some other number of instructions, I forget, for the aha2842
adapter.  Slackware and Red Hat installation disks are unaffected and perform
normally.

     Since I am now unable to install from floppy, I would be happy to test any
solution which may be available.
I do note that the most recent resc1440 disk in potato distribution, shich
incidentally points to slink,  is dated in early March and is still unusable.

------- End of Forwarded Message