Slink upgrade -- package installation problems

Hello!

    I've been upgrading a Hamm Beta into Slink.  The machine is
Pentium II 233MHz, 64M RAM.  It mostly went fine, but a couple of
times I have received error messages about non-zero exit codes from
gzip -dc.  This stopped the upgrade process a couple of times, and
I had to use apt-get update, dpkg --configure -a manually.
For one broken package (namely, emacs20), I had to manually remove
the package before it could be re-installed.

The error message I currently receive is:
wolf /cdrom/dists/slink/main/binary-i386/libs 4# apt-get -f install
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...dependency error
Correcting dependencies...ok
  freetype2
  freetype2
0 packages upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0b/73.1k of archives. After unpacking 172k will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
(Reading database ... 77036 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking freetype2 (from .../libs/freetype2_1.2-3.deb) ...

gzip: stdout: Broken pipe
dpkg-deb: subprocess gzip -dc returned error exit status 1
dpkg: error processing /cdrom/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/libs/freetype2_1.2-3.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess dpkg-deb --fsys-tarfile returned error exit status 2
 /cdrom/debian/dists/stable/main/binary-i386/libs/freetype2_1.2-3.deb
E: Sub-process returned an error code
(I have attempted to install moonlight, which demanded freetype2).

Anyone has an idea?

----
Ariel Tankus
Tel-Aviv University.

P.S.:
wolf /cdrom/dists/slink/main/binary-i386/libs 5# dpkg --version
Debian Linux `dpkg' package management program version 1.4.0.34 (i386 elf).
Copyright 1994-1996 Ian Jackson, Bruce Perens.  This is free software;
see the GNU General Public Licence version 2 or later for copying
conditions.  There is NO warranty.  See dpkg --licence for details.