Documentation test

EVERYTHING WENT WELL:-) THANKS A LOT FOR THE GOOD DISTRIBUTION! PLEASE READ
THE LOG, THERE COULD BE DONE SOME THINGS, WHICH WILL LEAD TO HIGHER SCORES IN
DISTRIBUTION COMPARISONS. IMPORTANT COMMENTS ARE WRITTEN IN CAPS.

About myself: I am using Debian since 1.2.x and know how to build simple
Debian packages. I have never installed/upgraded to slink before, so I am a
quite good test person. Please take me as a standard user how is sometimes
impatient and does not read very man page which is referenced and maybe does
not even read the standard documentation very carefully.

System information:

- hamm system without an XServer:
# uname -a
Linux rai16 2.0.34 #2 Thu Jul 9 10:57:48 EST 1998 i686 unknown
- PII/350
- 256 MB RAM
- Used upgrade via the hamm path

I used the documenation coming with slink (Release-Notes). The mail is a log
what happend.

Started to read Release notes:

- The comment on script is confusing, if you do not know, what script is.
Better is to write what the user should enter (if he wants loggin) and where
he can find the log-file.
- Decided to do the apt method
- Downloaded apt from slink

# dpkg -i ~rainer/apt_0.1.9.deb
Selecting previously deselected package apt.
(Reading database ... 22193 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking apt (from .../home/rami/rainer/apt_0.1.9.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of apt:
 apt depends on libc6 (>= 2.0.7u); however:
  Version of libc6 on system is 2.0.7t-1.
 apt depends on libstdc++2.9; however:
  Package libstdc++2.9 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing apt (--install):
 apt

- Downloaded the included libc6
# dpkg -i libc6_2.0.7.19981211-5.deb
(Reading database ... 22228 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc6 2.0.7t-1 (using libc6_2.0.7.19981211-5.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libc6 ...
Replacing files in old package libc6-dev ...
Setting up libc6 (2.0.7.19981211-5) ...

- Running dselect, to configure apt: libstdc++2.9 is missing

- # dpkg -i libstdc++2.9_2.91.60-5.deb
Selecting previously deselected package libstdc++2.9.
(Reading database ... 22227 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libstdc++2.9 (from libstdc++2.9_2.91.60-5.deb) ...
Setting up libstdc++2.9 (2.91.60-5) ...

- Running dselect again: Configure worked now.

-      It is recommended that you read the apt-get and the sources.list
man pages at this time.

I printed the pages, but did not really read it (except examples of
sources.list).

Maybe two examples should go into the release notes. And then state: If you
are unsure about what a command is doing, please refer to the man pages of
sources.list and apt-get.

The way it is written now sounds a bit like: please read the man pages. We are
nearly sure that you will not do it, but you can't come and complain
afterwards.

-Changed sources.list to

# Use for a local mirror - remove the ftp1 http lines for the bits
# your mirror contains.
# deb file:/your/mirror/here/debian stable main contrib non-free
# See sources.list(5) for more information, especial
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
deb http://http.de.debian.org/debian frozen main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US frozen non-US

- apt-get update

Get http://http.de.debian.org frozen/contrib Packages
Get http://non-us.debian.org frozen/non-US Packages
Error http://http.de.debian.org frozen/contrib Packages
 Couldn't lookup host http.de.debian.org
Fetched 9592b in 0s (12.3k/s)
ERROR http://http.de.debian.org/debian/dists/frozen/contrib/binary-i386/Package
s.gz
  Couldn't lookup host http.de.debian.org

- changed sources.list to

# Use for a local mirror - remove the ftp1 http lines for the bits
# your mirror contains.
# deb file:/your/mirror/here/debian stable main contrib non-free
# See sources.list(5) for more information, especial
# Remember that you can only use http, ftp or file URIs
deb ftp://ftp.de.debian.org/debian frozen main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US frozen non-US

- # apt-get update
Get ftp://ftp.de.debian.org frozen/contrib Packages
Get http://non-us.debian.org frozen/non-US Packages
Get ftp://ftp.de.debian.org frozen/main Packages
Get ftp://ftp.de.debian.org frozen/non-free Packages
Fetched 620k in 3s (165k/s)
Updating package file cache...done
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...dependency error
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
Sorry, but the following packages are broken - this means they have unmet
dependencies:
  libc6-dev: Depends:libc6

- downloaded libc6-dev and

- # dpkg -i libc6-dev_2.0.7.19981211-5.deb
(Reading database ... 22238 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libc6-dev 2.0.7t-1 (using libc6-dev_2.0.7.19981211-5.deb)
Unpacking replacement libc6-dev ...
Setting up libc6-dev (2.0.7.19981211-5) ...

- read the man page of script and start logging
- # apt-get update
Get ftp://ftp.de.debian.org frozen/contrib Packages
Get http://non-us.debian.org frozen/non-US Packages
Get ftp://ftp.de.debian.org frozen/main Packages
Get ftp://ftp.de.debian.org frozen/non-free Packages
Fetched 620k in 0s (796k/s)
Updating package file cache...done
Updating package status cache...done
Checking system integrity...ok

- apt-get -f dist-upgrade
Many errors. Check out the scripts for details: http://www.ra.informatik.uni-st
uttgart.de/~rainer/Download/hamm2slink

- changed to ftp.at.debian.org

- rerun apt-get -f dist-upgrade

  It seems that everything was working, but I got a stange return value

Preparing to replace libg++2.8 2.90.29-0.6 (using libg++2.8_2.90.29-2.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libg++2.8 ...
Selecting previously deselected package libjpeg62.
E: Sub-process returned an error code
rai16:~#

THE LINE E:... NEEDS BETTER DOCUMENTATION! I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT IT MEANS

- run dselect to check the package status:

Surprise: Select shows many broken packages!

- select access method apt

- run update

- run config

- I found this one very confusing, because I never changed this file by hand:

WARNING: you already have an /etc/conf.modules file which has not
been generated by update-modules. Debian now uses a new system which
uses multiple files in the /etc/modutils directory. See the manpage
for update-modules for more information on this setup.

Please check all changes you made in /etc/conf.modules and either
apply them to the provided files in /etc/modutils or add your own
files there. Then run update-modules.

I ran "update-modules force" and compared, if there were some significant
changes. But there were not.

 g++

- run config again

running dpkg --pending --configure ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of g++:
 g++ depends on libstdc++2.9-dev (>= 2.91.60); however:
  Package libstdc++2.9-dev is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing g++ (--configure):
 g++

- go through select and install

Now it got frightening:

Checking system integrity...ok
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  doc-linux kbd
  twm xsm xproxy talkd xmanpages telnetd xterm xbase-clients libjpeg62 rstartd
  telnet xserver-common newt0.25 nfs-server rstart talk xdm xmh xfs
WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
  kbd
25 packages upgraded, 19 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
3 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 4219k/15.0M of archives. After unpacking 387k will be used.

- Aborded. Selected kbd again.

- Install

- Another surprise: A lot of packages are upgraded now.

- ALL IS CONFIGURED NOW.

- Do a lilo on the command line.

- Some obsolete packages. Removed all from Optional. Only one requeired is
remaining:

*** Req base     slang0.99.38 0.99.38-6   <none>

I have

 *** Req base     slang1       1.2.2-2     1.2.2-2     The S-Lang programming
li

- I remove slang0 too.

- Now I have only uptodate packages.

- Reboot and Pray

- System does come up! Congratulations!

- I will submit a problem report, if I encounter serious problems later.

- A FINAL COMMENT:

If you browse the upgrade instructions the first time, you have the impression
it is unavoidable to have to fix manually broken things at the end.
The upgrade instuctions should end with a sentence like:

Now the upgrade is completed! In case you system has problem, see the trouble
shooting section before reporting bugs.

--
Rainer Dorsch
Abt. Rechnerarchitektur  e-mail:rainer.dorsch@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de