Re: List of bugs that *must* be fixed before releasing Slink

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999, Brian White wrote:

> > I don't think so; when dpkg upgrades itself and replaces the library it
> > still has the old library opened via a mmap() which means it won't
> > suddenly start using another incompatible library. This becomes a real
> > issue only when the library is split into its own package and the two
> > are upgraded independantly.
>
> Hmmm...  If things were installed by hand ("dpkg --install dpkglib...")
> or if install were to fail between the two packages, then you could have
> a problem where the install tool doesn't function, right?

I think the risk is if dpkg installs libdpkg or dpkg and then fails (disk
space? machine failure?) before it can install the corrisponding half.
This would be while unpacking a single package, the problem is only
magnified if they are split.

Jason