Re: boot-floppies dselect acquisition methods

On 28 Jan 1999 15:50:27 -0600, John Hasler <john@dhh.gt.org> said:
> Jason Gunthorpe writes:
>> And for the tiny fraction of the population that is behind an FTP
>> proxy without any http proxy support they can fetch it from the
>> archive by hand there is no need for it to be on the boot
>> disks. (It is hard to find a PCee that cannot run netscape) ...
>> Again, as with dpkg-ftp the tiny fraction of the population that is
>> behind such a firewall can get either a newer apt or a dpkg-http by
>> hand they should not be on the boot disks.

> Do we really want to be telling people that they can't install
> Debian unless they already have Windows?

No.  Tiny population or not, I think the lack of 'Authorization'
support in the shipping apt is enough reason to keep 'http' on the
boot-disks.  We'll just document that it should be used unless you
really need 'Authorization'.

I see Jason's point, though, that we'll be confusing around 80% of
users, which supporting an additional 3%.  It's a trade-off.

I'd say the same about ftp, except it doesn't seem work at all.