Re: Debian 2.0 install

Jason Gunthorpe <jgg@ualberta.ca> writes:

> >   cdrom          Install from a CD-ROM.
> >   nfs            Install from an NFS server (not yet mounted).
> >   harddisk       Install from a hard disk partition (not yet mounted).
> >   mounted        Install from a filesystem which is already mounted.
> >   ftp            Install using ftp.
> >   http           Install using http:, ftp:, and file: URLs.
> Last I heard these ones where really quite bad and had problems with
> pre-depends and others. Other than the 'not yet mounted' stuff apt largely
> replaces all of them -- there are some features a very small number of
> people need that only those methods provide but that is fairly rare.

Yes, well, you would say that, wouldn't you?  Let's not get carried
away with `apt' fervour, please.  If there are known bugs or
obsolescence with these methods fine, but purging them on the basis
that the apt author ``has heard'' that they are bad and have problems
and that features which they provide are (in the apt authors opinion)
``rarely needed'' strikes me as a stunningly bad idea.

Remove them from the default choice list, if the problem is user
confusion, by all means, but they should be available.

"Never trust trucks"