Re: Install methods reshuffle [was:Re: Debian 2.0 install]

On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Ron wrote:

> While the network friendly method of working around this might involve
> 'hand' copying and installing the relevant .debs to various machines,
> or linking the /var/lib/dpkg tree into my local ftp or web space(Yecch)
> the Time friendly method ( my time that is ;) is to simply let dselect on
> each machine do it's own independent thing.

What serveral people do is use APT and mount /var/cache/apt/archives/
across all of the machines. You can also mount /var/state/apt/lists/ if
your machines have identical sources.list entries.

Then any machine that installs a package puts it into that cache and it
becomes available to all other machines.

Jason