Re: Upgrade to slink

In article <Pine.LNX.3.96.981105093910.25613A-100000@cnhobbes.ml.org>, Brandon Mitchell <bhmit1@mail.wm.edu> writes:
>> I used dselect to upgrade - maybe that's a big mistake - but I
>> could not get apt working.

> The updgrade should be possible in dselect.  Although multiple runs
> of the install/config are acceptable there.

This is a little deceptive.  You can combine apt and dselect both.

>> Having started X after the upgrade however I noted that xterm and
>> rxvt are gone!

> There are several problems with X and that's why I'm not upgrading
> right now.  Perhaps this is what a bunch of the others are waiting
> for as well.

Well, the big problem here is that there's now way with the Debian
dependancy system that when a package splits, to make sure you get
both packages.  So if 'foobar' splits to 'foobar' and 'fee', there's
no automatic way get fee.  Well, 'foobar' could *depend* on 'fee', but
that's not right for X11, where you can have xbase and not xterm
anymore (X11 server only, no client).

Personally I feel we're bending over a little bit too much to accomate
the (quite rare) X server only scenario. I'd like to see 'suggests' to
all the broken out pacakges from the main package it broke out from.
If anyone agrees, some constructive bug reports might be good here.

>> The reason is apparent: xterm in Debian sets TERM=xterm-debian. And
>> naturally Slackware doesn't know anything about it.

>> (Could someone tell me/point to a source what a f@#$k is this
>> problem with terminals? Why in Windoze backspace is always
>> backspace and delete is always delete? What's the problem to have
>> consistency at least with a lower part of ASCII table?)

> There was a project to fix this, people claim that it works, but I
> have yet to see it.  Maybe I should try a fresh install to see if
> I'm bringing several hacks from way back when that screw up my
> upgrades.

> You should file some bug reports now.  Wishlist on the $TERM stuff.
> And you should probably upgrade X (I think I just way version *-7 on
> llug.sep.bnl.gov) before reporting any bugs on that.

Um, make sure the RTFM before you submit bugs on this.  TERM settings
are very complex.  So read
<URL:http://master.debian.org/~branden/xsf.html> and
/usr/doc/xbase/README.Debian.