Re: Recompilation to remove dependency on libc6 2.0.7u (Was: Status of Slink (fwd)

Brandon Mitchell wrote:
> The best I can say is to check the debian-devel archives.  I forget all
> the libs you need, but getting the latest of everything would be a good
> idea.  The problem was the people with the good libs can't run programs
> compiled with the bad libs (at least that's how I understood it).  The end
> up getting some kind of unresolved symbol if they try to run one of those
> programs.

No, the list of packages that will actually break is much shorter than
the list of packages with the spurious dependency.

Lintian will detect the former class.  See
http://master.debian.org/~dark/lintian/reports/Tcompiled-with-bad-libc.html
for a list.  I've already done an NMU for wine, and someone is working on
gstep.

The only problem with the latter group is the spurious dependency on
libc6 >= 2.0.7u-1.

Richard Braakman