Re: 2.2.16? [INSTALL REPORT]

On Sun Jul 02, 2000 at 11:59:20AM -0700, Randolph Chung wrote:
> ok, some good news and some good news ...
>
> > I am rather concerned about the modprobe reports posted to the list earlier.
> >    [ the gist of it is this message, on startup: ]
> >    modprobe: modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.2.17/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
>
> i was unable to pin this down, but it is indeed quite harmless if a bit
> annoying to the end user. This happens BEFORE init is run. I think Matt's
> explanation of unix.o is close (you do not get this message if you are using
> the idepci/compact flavors, which have unix.o built in). However, as this
> happens before init is run it probably doesn't have anything to do with
> syslog.
>
> One question for Erik, i tried adding some read and sleep statements in
> /etc/init.d/rcS, and it seems like they don't get run or don't work or
> something. Maybe you can explain this?

Hmm.  Everything in /etc/init.d/rcS should be getting run, though it may not
have a usable console provided to it.  Checking...  Yup, it looks like rcS is
run without a usable console.  In scripts/rootdisk/prototype/etc/inittab, rcS
is run with stdin/stdout/stderr all created via dup2 from /dev/null, so you
wouldn't expect to see much.

If you want to debug this thing, you will want to change
scripts/rootdisk/prototype/etc/inittab to have something
like the following:

	 # main rc script
	-null::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS
	+::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

> So I'd say 2.2.16 for i386 is definitely ready for upload, and probably
> ready for potato release.
>
> congrats all!

Very cool.

 -Erik