Re: AHA-2940 problem as reported by Max Bell

Brandon Mitchell wrote:

> How about the append="gdth=disable:y" flag in lilo.conf.  Does liloconfig
> offer to set specific flags.  If so, then this just needs to be well
> documented in an install readme.
>
> Brandon

Last night I started a fresh install from the Potato beta CD into a new
partition on the SCSI disk.

Initial boot from CD with the command: linux gdth=disable:y worked OK.
Installed base system, built boot floppy and selected a base lilo
configuration using the built-in liloconfig.

The liloconfig utility only asks three questions:
     1. Install a partition boot record to boot Linux from /dev/sda6? [yes]
     2. Install a master boot record on /dev/sda1? [No]
     3. Make /dev/sdb6 the active partition? [yes]

I selected all three options then attempted reboot from disk.

System again hung at aec671x_detect.

Rebooted from floppy using llinux gdth=disable:y and system came up.

Hand edited /etc/lilo.conf and inserted a line containing
append="gdth=disable:y".

Reboot from hard disk - successful.