Debian Zurich Meetup today (Tue, 4. October 2022), 18:30 at St. Gallerhof + Jitsi again / restaurant and date discussion

Hi,

today (Tuesday, 4th of October 2022) will be a Debian Zurich
respectively Switzerland meetup again at the restaurant St. Gallerhof
(Konradstr. 2, 8005 Zürich; near HB;
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1374903992;
https://www.st-gallerhof.ch/), starting at 18:30 local time.

The weather seems to get sunny today, but it's getting dark early
already and from 20:00 the temperature will fall from 14°C down to
10°C at around 23:00.

So on the one hand I didn't explicitly reserve a table outside and I
assume that most participants will prefer inside at these temperatures
anyways.

And on the other hand, I'll be on Jitsi at

  https://jitsi.debian.social/Switzerland

instead again. Locally at the restaurant there will be Venty at least.
I don't expect that we manage to have this meeting hybrid. It just
didn't work out every time we tried. So they will be more or less two
separate meetups at the same time.

A note about the meetup's (real-life) location:

Some people were suggesting to switch to another restaurant. But I
don't want to break the current (and well-known) tradition unless
there at least has been some discussion on this list
(debian-switzerland@lists.debian.org), and preferably at the end of
the discussion even a consensus.

Pros for St. Gallerhof so far:

* Central location, close to HB, well reachable via public transport
* well-known location (also by tradition)

Cons against St. Gallerhof so far:

* Menu has less choice than in the past, some favourites (especially
  also favourite beverages, but also desserts) are gone
* IIRC some even said that the meal quality decreased a bit.
* Construction site for about a year or so directly in front of the
  restaurant.

To not have to do these announcements manually that often again ;-), I
nevertheless for now have added St. Gallerhof as location for next six
(colder) months to the calendar at https://www.lugs.ch/lugs/termine/.

I'm though happy to change that if we find a consensus about another
location here on the list.

Another discussion which also came up occasionally is if we should
separate the date for the virtual meetup from the real-life meetup so
that people who'd like to join both can actually do that.

If there are at least a few people in favour of that, we can do that.
The question is the one about the day of week for the Jitsi meetup. I
know some people are unhappy with Tuesdays, but there's not so much
choice due to other local associations with which we have overlaps in
members (and of which I know at least), having their meetups, too:

* Mondays is virtual CCCZH meetup
* Wednesday is real-life CCCZH meetup
* Thursdays is (hybrid) LUGS meetup every 4 weeks
* Fridays is (hybrid) LUGS meetup every 4 weeks (with 2 weeks offset)

Since the LUGS has their meetups every two weeks alternating on
Thursday and on Friday (for the same reason: to offer two different
weekdays), it's difficult not to hit one of these days with a
month-based rhythm. (BTDT)

So maybe one (a bit complicated) option would be to say we do the
Jitsi meetup every first Friday in the week unless there's a LUGS
meetup on that date, in which case it would be Thursday instead. (This
though might clash on some Thursdays with a private repeating
appointment of mine.)

Another option would be to do it alternating every first Monday on
e.g. even months and e.g. every first Wednesday on odd months.

Or let's just say that because CCCZH meetups happen weekly, we expect
that those who want to go to both can skip CCCZH meetups once a month
and just go to the remaining 7 (virtual + real-life) meetups per month.

So we have many options. What are your preferences? Or shall we make a
web based poll for that? :-)

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, https://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin