Re: Meet in September?

Hi Kingsley,

Kingsley G. Morse Jr. wrote:
> I'm happy to report that I expect to be in
> Switzerland September 21-24 for a scientific
> conference[1].
>
> I'd be glad to meet other Debian users if there's
> someone around who speaks English.

Most people in Switzerland also speak English. Actually English is the
primary language on this list (community@lists.debian.ch), too, as
it's the common denominator.

There's a monthly Debian meetup in Zürich (ca. 1h away from Basel),
but it's always at the beginning of the month (first Tuesday of the
month).

But there is a so called "Chaostreff" (local meetup/chapter of the
Chaos Computer Club) at a suburb of Basel every Tuesday starting at
19:30 (see http://wiki.chaostreff.ch/Chaostreff; CC'ed). They're
neither debian- nor linux-specific, but I know there are some active
Debian users around there.

There's also a local Linux User Group in Basel (http://www.blug.ch/),
too, but I'm not sure how active they still are. I've found no e-mail
contact on their website, and their monthly meetup is also rather to
the beginning of the month (2nd Wednesday of the month). But maybe the
people of the Chaostreff Basel know more details.

The Linux User Group Switzerland (LUGS; where you've sent a similar
mail to, too. Cc'ed as I didn't want to write two different replies on
the same topic) is mostly a LUG for the Zürich area and has its
meetups every two weeks. Unfortunately they do not fall in the
timespan of your visit: Thu, 17.9. and Fri, 2.10. (c.f.
http://www.lugs.ch/lugs/termine/). As you seem to have gueesed, the
primary language there is German, but also there nearly everyone
understands English -- usually better than Google Translate translates
to German. ;-)

Anyways, that's all the options for you which come to my mind. If
there are some Basel locals going to organise an unscheduled meetup
while you are in Switzerland, or if you're coming to the regular
Chaostreff Basel on 22nd, I'd try to come to Basel on that evening,
too. So please announce any meetups you plan to attend also here
(community@lists.debian.ch).

		Regards, Axel
--
 ,''`.  |  Axel Beckert <abe@debian.org>, http://people.debian.org/~abe/
: :' :  |  Debian Developer, ftp.ch.debian.org Admin