Re: ENUM in .ch?

On 29/01/14 09:52, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> Hi Daniel
>
> Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.com.au> writes:
>
>> Has anybody hear about ENUM here in Switzerland?  Somebody has asked
>> about it in a comment on my blog:
>>
>> http://danielpocock.com/comment/11338#comment-11338
> I guess you are asking about the 1.4.e164.arpa Domain which is used to
> map "traditional" phone number starting with +41 (Switzerland) for ENUM.
>
> I did a little bit of research because this seems an interesting topic.
> It seems that there was a trial from 2003 up until 2007, but after that
> the 1.4.e164.arpa registration was returned to RIPE which runs
> e164.arpa. Currently the 1.4.e164.arpa Domain is not active. So there is
> no ENUM for Swiss phone numbers.

Thanks for this feedback, I've added a link to your email from my blog now

My impression is that for ENUM to be successful it needs big groups that
want to use it (e.g. universities or Government agencies themselves) -
this gives it critical mass and creates an environment where private
companies would want to tender to run the registry service.